Monday 3 September 2018

Happy New Year



September always seems like the start of a new year for me.
Maybe its because I once worked in education and spent a long time as a student.
 I always find fresh starts easier to make while the weather is warmer in September than the start of the calendar year in January!
It has been a while since I posted on this blog but my New Year's Resolution is to keep blogging on a regular basis.

Maybe you could make yoga part of your New Year Resolution too.


Over the summer I have enjoyed lots of short trips in this beautiful country where I have persuaded my long suffering husband to snap some pictures of my poses.
But there is a method in my photo madness.
I hope the beautiful settings will inspire you to keep practising.
This week's pose is Mountain Pose and this photograph was taken in May at the top of a tarn in the Lake District near Grasmere.

I love Mountain Pose.

It is my most practised pose as it can be done anywhere - on the mat, at the bus stop, queuing in the supermarket or indeed at the top of a tarn.
So why do I love it?

Mountain Pose or Tadasna is the foundation of all standing poses.
It can be used to centre the body before and after all poses.
Mountain Pose improves posture by strengthening the legs, core and muscles of the torso.
It offers the opportunity to explore balance of the body and mind.
By rooting down through the feet and rising through the crown it creates a sense of wellbeing.
With the arms by the side and slowly turning the palms to face forward there is a sense of opening across the heart.
BKS Iyengar said that it was impossible to feel depressed during this strong, steady stance.

So how do you do it?
Stand tall with your feet together, big toes touch, heels as close as is comfortable.
Lift the toes, spread them nice and wide and slowly lower back to the ground so your weight is balanced across a strong base.
Draw the thigh muscles upwards without locking the knees.
Keep the pelvis neutral as you engage the muscles of the buttocks and abdominals.
Lift your shoulders up to the ears and then let them fall back down as if you were wearing a suit of armour and the shoulder blades slide down to the buttocks.
The chin is parallel to the floor, the neck lengthened.
Imagine a pice of string attached to the crown of your head drawing your body upwards.
Now breathe, softly and deeply.
Visualise your body as strong and steady as a mountain.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outdoor Yoga

I love any opportunity to practise yoga outdoors as these photos show.   And I'm excited that after a summer hiatus, Formby Yog...